With all the amazing filmmaking tools out our disposal (and in our pocket), it’s easy to overlook the importance of the basics…like, how to tell a good story. Fortunately for us, there’s an app for that, and it’s called Syd Field Script Launcher ($7.99).
Syd Field is one of the most respected screenwriting teachers of our age. If you’re an aspiring writer, then you’ve probably already read at least one of his 2,000 books on the subject (I’ve read three). Now he’s turned his attention to the craft of storytelling. The app takes users step-by-step through the process of creating unique stories, and creating effective story treatments.
According to the developer’s description, the app does the following:
• Reveal the craft of story telling in an informal and easy to read style
• Show you how to clarify and define your idea
• Teach you how to extract the subject line – the action and character of your idea
• Structure your story line into a dramatic beginning, middle and end
• Guide you through your story line from inception through completion
• Mentor you in creating fully realized characters
• Support and direct you in writing a professional treatment
At the end of the Syd Field Script Launcher, you will have crafted a professional story line and treatment that you can email directly to your targeted audience – friends, family, colleagues and professional associates.
Considering Syd’s amazing track record, I have no doubt Script Launcher will be a useful tool for some writers, especially beginners.
For you advanced screenwriters out there, I’d recommend checking out STORY by Robert McKee in the iBookstore. It’s intense, and often overwhelming, but well worth the read.
This app has been removed from the App Store